Procedure: Personnel Procedure No.: B-13
Title: Advertisement of Vacant Position Policy No.: 2.02, 2.09.2.20
Authority: 1001.41, F.S. Date Issued: 4/21/95
Fla. Statute: 1001.51, 1012.22, 1012.23 Superintendent's
and 1012.27, F.S. Signature:
State Board Signature on File Rule:
The purpose of this procedure is to provide instructions relative to the advertisement of vacant positions in the district.
1. Advertising requirements.
A. Vacancies for all permanent jobs must be advertised in the District Job Opportunities Bulletin.
1) This advertisement will be for a minimum of five working days (which includes the day of distribution) in duration.
2) In-school transfers and transfers authorized at the district level are not required to be advertised.
3) Should the individual initially selected to fill a vacancy turn down the offer for any reason, the principal/supervisor does not need to re-advertise but may select another applicant from the same recap list.
4) Applicant recap lists may be used for hiring purposes up to 6 weeks after the final closing date.
B. Temporary vacancies in authorized positions which exceed 8 weeks (40 working days) must be advertised.
2. Steps for Advertising
A. All requests to advertise a vacancy in the Job Opportunities Bulletin will be initiated by calling Personnel Services or the completion of a Position Advertisement Request Form.
1) The request to advertise must be received by Personnel Services by 4:00 p.m. Thursday for the Monday Bulletin or by 4:00 p.m. Monday for the Wednesday Bulletin.
2) If a phone call or personal visit is used to request advertisement, the Position Advertisement Request Form will be completed by a member of the Personnel Services staff. Those making requests by phone should use a copy of the form to assure that all items of information are furnished.
B. When a vacancy is being advertised in a critical need area., the responsible administrator may request an extended advertisement period of more than five work days. If no qualified applicant is available after this extended advertisement, the position may be re-advertised.
C. A request to re-advertise a vacancy may be made verbally or in writing to Personnel Services. Applicants who applied on the original advertisement are considered active and are not required to reapply during the re-advertisement.
D. The Job Opportunities Bulletin will be published by Personnel Services every Monday for distribution to every LCS facility in adequate supply for posting. A supplemental bulletin may be published in mid-week. Bulletins will be distributed to selected agencies in the community.
E. In addition to advertising a vacancy in the Job Opportunity Bulletin, an administrator may elect to advertise in the Florida Department of Education publication or in paid newspaper advertising or by job flyers sent to selected recipients. Such advertising will be provided, on request, by Personnel Services which will insure proper format and content for the advertisement. All costs associated with such advertisement will be charged to the budget of the requesting department.
F. All vacancies will be included on the "Job Line" telephone resource during the
3. Summer School positions filled from within a school's own faculty do not have to be advertised. Positions filled from outside a school's own faculty must be advertised except for Exceptional Student Education teaching positions if a Leon District ESE person is hired. If no ESE district person is available, then the vacancy must be advertised using the above timelines.